httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Gladstone <pgladst...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Performance of TransmitFile on Windows Servers with 2.0.49
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:35:11 GMT
OK -- I made a mistake in my tests. My XP system had 'enablesendfile
off', and that was the reason that it went fast. It does appear that
fiddling with those flags (TF_WRITE_BEHIND) doesn't make much (if any)
difference.

THe only thing that makes much difference is the MAX_SEGMENT_SIZE.
Increasing this improves the situation (as it reduces the number of
200ms pauses). However, there is an effective upper limit of 16MB due to
the way that the apr_sendfile is used. Even at that level, I can only
get 8MB/sec versus 11MB/sec for enablesendfile off.

However, in all cases, it really does appear that the 'enablesendfile
off' can transfer data at a higher data rate.

Sorry about raising false hopes.

Philip

--
Philip Gladstone                    978-ZEN-TOAD (978-936-8623)
Cisco Systems, Inc                                  Boxboro, MA