httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sumeet Singh <sumeet.si...@openwave.com>
Subject Re: [apache-modules] Re: Internal redirect from an output filter (Apache2.x)
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 00:29:41 GMT
André Malo wrote:

>* Sumeet Singh <sumeet.singh@openwave.com> wrote:
>
>[internal redirects in output filters]
>

>>Yes, I also find it unsafe. However, note that some standard modules do
>>that too. For example mod_include runs sub-requests from within its
>>output filters. In my opinion this shouldn't be allowed, because with
>>the wrong configuration a web-admin could cause the server to go into
>>recursion. But since mod_include is a standard module, I guess what it
>>does is considered legal.
>>

>Subrequests and internal redirects are entirely different things. A subrequest
>can be done from almost everywhere and affects just the data flow (if at all).
>An internal redirect affects the current _control flow_.
>
>nd

I understand how a sub-request is different from an internal-redirect.
However, my point was that of recursion. If you have any light to shed
on the original question I asked (that whether it is legal to invoke
ap_internal_redirect from an output filter) I would really appreciate that.

-rgds,
ss
p.s.
And by the way, I don't agree that sub-requests are *entirely different*
from internal-redirects. For example if you did a subrequest-uri-lookup
followed by a ap_run_sub_req you would still end-up running all the
stages (except post-read-request) and generating data and sending it
down the output filter stack. Same thing is done by internal-redirect.
There are subtle differences like the state of r->main/r->next/r->prev,
filters inherited by the new request, running or not running of
post_read_request and quick-handler stages, but finally both are
recursions. And both the above generate data going down the output
filter stack. After calling ap_internal_redirect you are supposed return
immediately with a OK/DONE, but what if you didn't - then you would
essentially be doing what people do with subrequests.

If you wish to continue this discussion, please start a separate thread.