httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sumeet Singh <sumeet.si...@openwave.com>
Subject Re: [apache-modules] Re: Internal redirect from an output filter (Apache2.x)
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 00:02:53 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>Sumeet Singh wrote:
>

>>>  I was wondering if invoking an internal-redirect from within an output filter
is legal. I need to do that from my output filter but want to make sure that it conforms to
apache2.0 API before I go ahead and design/code it.

>I presume this is not safe, but is tolerated by die because we will mop up all
>of the resources very soon thereafter.  Note that it is only successful if the
>headers had not been set up in an earlier call to pass brigade that made it
>to the protocol stack.  I would look at the log results carefully and trace the
>request to ensure you are satisfied with the processing.
>
>It is certainly not recommended, that does not mean it's not possible.
>
>Bill

Yes, I also find it unsafe. However, note that some standard modules do
that too. For example mod_include runs sub-requests from within its
output filters. In my opinion this shouldn't be allowed, because with
the wrong configuration a web-admin could cause the server to go into
recursion. But since mod_include is a standard module, I guess what it
does is considered legal.