httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move httpd to the subversion repository
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:02:31 GMT

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> As I mentioned to the dev@apr'ers I would feel much safer moving 2.1-dev
> over to SVN (with APR 1.0) and leaving 2.0/apr 0.9 alone to the end of
> their useful life.

Ugh.  That sounds like it will make back-porting even more of a pain than
it already is, and would require two toolsets to be maintained.  In
essence, I think we would wind up getting all the costs of subversion
without most of the benefits (until all the old code is retired).

It sounds like there are some serious differences of opinion on this
issue.  Would it help to make the arguments a little more concrete?
I've made a start below.  I can commit to STATUS if you'd like.

I personally lean towards adoption of subversion.  I agree that keeping
barriers to entry as low as possible is crucial.  But I don't think that
subversion needs to be a serious problem there.

Advantages of moving to subversion:
- All the advantages over cvs as discussed at http://subversion.tigris.org/
  (How important are these for Apache?)
- Uses Apache 2 as transport, which has the benefits:
  - Dogfood
  - Don't need unix accounts for all committers (eventually)
  - Less problems with firewalls

Disadvantages of moving to subversion:
- Not as portable (?)
- New tool to install/learn