httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: mod_gcj project at sourceforge
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:30:10 GMT
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Hannes Wallnoefer wrote:

> >>just wanted to drop a note that I've started a sourceforge project to
> >>create an module to run natively compiled Java inside Apache using the
> >>Gnu compiler for Java (GCJ).
> >>

> >Erm, why does that need a module?  Surely all it needs is to deal with
> >the linkage from C.  I've done that experimentally, building the W3C
> >CSS validator with gcj, but considered this just too huge and unwieldy
> >to contemplate for operational use.
> >

> The idea is to have the module load and execute arbitrary Java byte
> code. In other words, mod_gcj will act as bridge between Apache and
> user-provided .class and .jar files.

Aha!  That's different - more akin to mod_perl or mod_python.

>	 And if you thought linking libgcj
> was unwieldy you probably haven't tried to run Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat
> recently.

Indeed I haven't, and when I last did it (about three years ago)
it was under protest:-)

No, it's not linking libgcj that's the issue.  It was loading a library
that had not only compiled to a 7Mb .so itself, but also had two huge
dependencies.  Your module sounds as if it should be able to offer a
more satisfactory alternative to that.  And it might also be very useful
for one of my wishlist-projects if that ever happens.

Thanks for clarifying.  I'm just off to your sourceforge page to
learn more:-)

--
Nick Kew