httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move httpd to the subversion repository
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:41:12 GMT

On Mar 16, 2004, at 10:03 PM, Joe Orton wrote:

>> neon has been the most limiting dependency for a client, I am told.
>
> Mmm, such juicy tempting FUD.  Your anonymous informant should report
> portability bugs to neon@webdav.org, rather than spreading gossip,
> since

Oh come on - migration is not trivial for older systems. We're going
from a very
flat/simple cross platform config system in apache 1.3 to apache 2.0
with gnu
configure, a new version libtool  (1.4), and now with the change of cvs
subversion we're now also adding  dependencies on xml and berkely 4.

Sure, at _SOME_ point these libraries will simply be in the
ports/packages
or RPM's of the OS,  but if you are dealing with OS released around 1998
then things are not quite trivial. For me the hard ones with respect to
Neon
are all configure related and the usual ones: QNX 4, FreeBSD 3.1 with
IPv6 patch and SCO openserver 5.0.x... but we are working through them
slowly (esp. as some of the  older systems have 5-10Mbyte disk
partitions assigned to them :-)

And please - do not pretend that replacing such a fundamental part of
your build and release management system is a walk in the park. There
is more to software engineering than supporting the coders.

Dw