httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <>
Subject Re: 2.0.49 rolled
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:16:06 GMT

On Mar 18, 2004, at 12:21 AM, Sander Striker wrote:

> I've put the 2.0.49 tarballs up at:

I'm not entirely happy about IPv6/IPv4 behaviour on at least FreeBSD
5.2.1 and MacOSX 10.3.{2,3}, possibly others.

I'm seeing the following when running the perl-framework. All three
boxes have IPv6 enabled. The perl-framework configures its Apache to
Listen on localhost:8529 (and a bunch of other ports). This results, on
all three machines, in the httpd only binding to ::1 for all ports.
Apparently the LWP stuff that perl-framework uses only knows about
IPv4, so all tests fail.

On the BSD box, when I switch the localhost lines so that IPv4
( comes before IPv6 (::1), and re-run the tests, I see the
server (using netstat) bind to only IPv4. Tests succeed.

I don't know how to make the same switch on the Macs: they tend to use
NetInfo for this stuff when running multi-user, but the NetInfo
database contains only IPv4 information.

I don't know enough about IPv6 to know what's going on here (maybe I
should change that), and I don't know if Apache is doing anything wrong
here... can it do anything but ask the OS for what localhost is, and
live with the answer? Is the practice to degenerate and ::1
into the name localhost, broken?

I have not had the chance to test this on earlier releases.

Jes' wondering.