httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: how to tell one request from another inside a connection filter over keep-alive connection
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:05:13 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Monday, March 1, 2004 11:57 PM -0800 Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org>
> wrote:
>
>> AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL. But what difference does it make as long as it sees
>> the
>> HTTP headers?
>

> Because AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL is request-level when you are using HTTP.

yes, but it won't see the headers, no?

> But, you should not be changing HTTP headers in a filter.  You should be
> altering them in a post_read_request hook and add it to the table.

that could be too late for some purposes, e.g. if you want to change the HTTP
method I believe.

>>> I'm certain, a mod_pop3 wouldn't like HTTP filters on connection level.
>>

>> I fail to see what it has to do with mod_pop3.
>>
>> If I run a connection filter that works on HTTP headers/requests I put it
>> inside a vhost, so it doesn't affect any other protocols.
>

> What you are suggesting is to make the connection-level filters aware of
> HTTP. Once again, that is *not* correct.  The connection-level filters
> must be unaware of HTTP or things start to break.
>
> I'm not clear how to better explain this, but what you are trying to do
> is going against the core principles of our filter design.  -- justin

I'm not aware of any document explaining the core principles of Apache 2
filter design. So obviously it's open to various interpretation, including
potentially erroneous ones. Or was such a spec written recently and I wasn't
aware of?