httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move httpd to the subversion repository
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:54:55 GMT
--On Monday, March 15, 2004 4:47 AM -0800 Kean Johnston <jkj@sco.com> wrote:

> people have worked very hard to make it work, and its good. But at the same
> time, one should be careful of falling into the "when you have a new hammer
> everything looks like a nail" trap.

Subversion serves *exactly* the same purpose as CVS.  We're not trying
anything new or asking that people switch to a different SCM model (like tla).

> smaller) set of filesystem objects as managed by Berkeley DB. This implies
> fundamental limitations not present in the current system. Think large
> files. Sure LFS is not likely to be an issue on your servers but it might
> be. Its worth thinging about. Whereas currently you would be restricted to
> thing. Its not a huge deal I know but still, I'm just making sure you
> consider the issue, even if just to dismiss it as a non-issue.

BDB supports largefiles by default.  I suggest you read up on Berkeley DB.
There are lots of people who are running SVN repositories over several GB
(including Conectiva, a Linux distro - last we heard they were over 10GB):

<http://subversion.tigris.org/svn-repositories2.html>

> Are you sure that things like keyword expansion will work as they currently
> do? They probably will do but again, it should be carefully considered. Are

We don't use keyword expansion in CVS, but Subversion has support for keyword
expansion.

> The original proposal stated that full history will be preserved. As I
> recall from the svn dev list the cvs2svn conversion process has been plagued
> with difficulties. Are all the issues resolved? If you do make such a move

Yes.  Remember, we're not going to delete the CVS repository, only lock it out
for future commits.  So, if a bug in cvs2svn's conversion is found (unlikely,
but possible), we can fix it and re-import.

Please don't try to portray this as a 'snap' decision.  We've been planning
this out for well over a year now.  In fact, before I joined dev@httpd all
those years ago, Roy said that we'd be switching over to Subversion 'soon.'
Ha!  -- justin