httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Re: how to tell one request from another inside a connection filter over keep-alive connection
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:22:36 GMT
--On Monday, March 1, 2004 11:57 PM -0800 Stas Bekman <> wrote:

> AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL. But what difference does it make as long as it sees the
> HTTP headers?

Because AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL is request-level when you are using HTTP.

But, you should not be changing HTTP headers in a filter.  You should be
altering them in a post_read_request hook and add it to the table.

>> I'm certain, a mod_pop3 wouldn't like HTTP filters on connection level.
> I fail to see what it has to do with mod_pop3.
> If I run a connection filter that works on HTTP headers/requests I put it
> inside a vhost, so it doesn't affect any other protocols.

What you are suggesting is to make the connection-level filters aware of HTTP.
Once again, that is *not* correct.  The connection-level filters must be
unaware of HTTP or things start to break.

I'm not clear how to better explain this, but what you are trying to do is
going against the core principles of our filter design.  -- justin

View raw message