httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Thorpe <ge...@geoffthorpe.net>
Subject Re: [OT] sco stuff (was: [PROPOSAL] Move httpd to the subversion repository)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:27:18 GMT
Oh Greg you big pooper,

There you go getting all balanced and objective on us ... :-)

On March 17, 2004 12:42 pm, Greg Stein wrote:
> One thing that I'd like to point out here: the ASF cares about end
> users who are on the SCO platform. Yes, the httpd PMC considered making
> some sort of statement or removing support or whatever for SCO when
> this stuff first started, but we came to the right end position: end
> users matter, and if end users are on SCO, then we'll help them.

Retaliation is indeed the wrong way forward. SCO's IP crusade is unbridled
opportunism, (IMHO, IANAL, FWIW, $0.02, [etc]) and to react by trying to
disadvantage their platform would stink of the same rot, and as you're
hinting, this could actually drive users (who are largely caught in the
middle of it) to support the cause their OS overlords are pursuing.

> And if Microsoft arrives here and starts to participate, then we'll
> accept them just as much as SCO or anybody else. Because it isn't the
> people at the companies that we're here for, but the end user.

It's that uncanny Microsoft/SCO analogy rearing its ugly head again, go
figure.

At the end of the day, it's the portability of tools like apache that
allows users to wander freely from platforms that lose their relevance
over to those that surpass them. And isn't that, in reality, the real
bug-up-the-u-no-where for SCO, Microsoft, and their ilk? Their relevance
is questioned, their opportunism threatened, and their lock-in dissolved.
As IP hawks have been preaching for so long; "adapt or die". I finally
agree.

I apologise to Kean and the good open source hackers at SCO or Microsoft -
if I seemed cynical or ungrateful before, I am a healed man and you now
have my upmost admiration. Please keep up the excellent work maintaining
a portable stick-free teflon OSS base on your platforms. This gives your
users plenty of escape routes if they see better value (and even,
<shudder>, principles?!) elsewhere, and I can hardly stoop to criticise
you for such honest measures. Happy hacking.

> Please keep that in mind.

Amen,
Geoff

PS: If SCO loses their case, would that be a Gargantuan Profiteering Loss?

--
Geoff Thorpe
geoff@geoffthorpe.net