httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Striker <stri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what speaks against a 2.1.0 release???
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:26:44 GMT
On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 23:30, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi all,
> although we had already two or three runs for doing a 2.1.0 release, it still not happened
yet.
> What I really cant understand is why; nobody expects a 'stable' release, those asking
for it are pretty much aware of the fact that 2.1 is ALPHA or BETA, so what holds back a relase?
Why cant we do 2.1.x releases just as with 2.0 ??
> I remember that we had already tarballs, we tested already, and then it got forgotten,
and the tarballs never made it to a public area....

> my reasons for asking are mainly:
>
> - more people will then test the new stuff, and will hopefully provide feedback.
> - the feedback is very important for backports. We have a huge number of fixes/changes
in 2.1 for which get no vote for backport, even trivial patches which dont change important
code (f.e. changing log from ERROR to DEBUG or such).
> - those not on this list can provide feedback through bugzilla with a release number
rather than 2.1-dev which can be anything of the last 1,5 years or so.
> - those having problems with the stable release can try the 'unstable' 2.1.x and report
if this fixes an issue.

The reason is mainly that I dropped the ball on the 2.1 release.  I'll
try and get on top of that in the next two weeks.  If someone else wants
to beat me to it, that's fine too.

Sander