httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Patch for query string customization?
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:11:18 GMT

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Brett E. wrote:
> We recommend that HTTP server implementors, and in particular, CGI
> implementors support the use of ";" in place of "&" to save authors the
> trouble of escaping "&" characters in this manner.

> So maybe we should conform to the spec and support both styles.

Huh?  This has nothing to do with the character that marks the start of
query strings "?".  It is dealing with the character that delineates
variables within a query string ("&" or ";").  Apache doesn't care at all
about what comes after the "?", except in limitted cases like
mod_autoindex (which already uses the ";" delimiter rather than "&").

You should be looking at whatever program or module is interpreting the
query string.  The base apache code has nothing to do with it.

Joshua.