httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: FileSystem v.s. Other Resources [was configurable Location?]
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:08:54 GMT
At 10:43 AM 2/5/2004, Greg Marr wrote:
>At 10:22 AM 2/5/2004, gregames@apache.org wrote:
>>Thanks for the feedback, Will.
>>
>>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

turn it on when it's not appropriate and cause Bad Things to happen.  Mainly I'm looking for
comments on whether this should be configurable or not.

>>>Yes, I'm one who will agree with your devil's position :)  I know the problem
>>>you are trying to solve, and changing the behavior of <Directory > isn't
quite the solution...

>>I'm only changing <Location > ... <Directory > is unaffected.
>
>Well, that's not entirely true.  The <Directory> is affected indirectly, because
it no longer applies.  The behavior currently is: it applies to everything it matches.  This
would change it to: it applies to everything it matches unless it also matches a <Location>,
in which case it doesn't apply.

Right - I understand.

I'm saying (as you pointed out) that it's too dangerous :)  Defies the principle
of least surprise.  They configure <Dir > blocks only to have them ignored.

The only safe way to do what you are suggesting, is to yank the default file
handler from under the request anytime the user has overridden the <Dir >
checks.  Simplest way to do that is bind them together as a filesystem
module.

Oh, the same problems (of yanking <Dir > out from under the user) would be
true of the CGI handler, as well as third party modules that do things with
the filesystem.  It would be important that they could explicitly enable the
module to add <Dir > handling.

Which brings us back to square one.  I'd actually argued a long time ago
that a module that handles requests outside of the filesystem should be
responsible for bypassing the <Dir > handler itself.  For example, mod_proxy
satisfies the map_to_storage hook on it's own, therefore never hitting <Dir >.

Bill