httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [2.0.48] ap_log_error slow on win32
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:21:51 GMT
Stas,

  we attempt to lock all writes to a file whenever we have a file opened for
append, as unix has this behavior naturally while Win32 does not.

  I'd focus on the speed of obtaining that lock.  I'd noticed similar before,
myself, and 1/2 suspect that the lock is also flushing the file from cache.

Bill

At 09:13 PM 1/19/2004, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Kurt George Gjerde wrote:
>>Hi,
>>Tested under mod_perl 2 I found $r->log_error (interface to ap_log_error) to be
substantially slower than printing directly to STDERR. Is this a known problem?
>>Please see:
>>http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40perl.apache.org/msg06003.html
>
>Make sure to read the followup:
>http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40perl.apache.org/msg06031.html
>The Unix implementation seem to be much faster (only about 1.5 times slower than direct
stdio print vs. win32 which is about 16 times slower).