httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: [2.0.48] ap_log_error slow on win32
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:21:51 GMT

  we attempt to lock all writes to a file whenever we have a file opened for
append, as unix has this behavior naturally while Win32 does not.

  I'd focus on the speed of obtaining that lock.  I'd noticed similar before,
myself, and 1/2 suspect that the lock is also flushing the file from cache.

At 09:13 PM 1/19/2004, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Kurt George Gjerde wrote:
>>Tested under mod_perl 2 I found $r->log_error (interface to ap_log_error) to be
substantially slower than printing directly to STDERR. Is this a known problem?
>>Please see:
>Make sure to read the followup:
>The Unix implementation seem to be much faster (only about 1.5 times slower than direct
stdio print vs. win32 which is about 16 times slower).
>Stas Bekman            JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
>    mod_perl Guide --->

View raw message