httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject -D name command-line option on Win32
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:41:52 GMT
What is the correct syntax for the "-D name" command-line option on
Win32 (and, indeed, other platforms too)?

Specifically, should there be a space between the "-D" and the "name" or
not?

The reason I ask is that I've been having problems with the Perl
Apache-Test module.  On Win32 it starts up the server in single-process
mode (-X) to make killing the process later easier, but it also used a
"-DAPACHE1" option:

apache.exe -DAPACHE1 -X

I found that under Apache/1.3.29 the -X was being ignored and two
processes (parent + child) got started, which then lead to one being
left behind after the tests have finished.  Inserting a space between
the "-D" and the "APACHE1" fixed the problem.  Apache/2.0.48 doesn't
seem to have this problem.

The output from "apache.exe -h" in both 1.3.29 and 2.0.48 shows a space:

Usage: apache [-D name] [-d directory] [-f file] [-n service]
              [-C "directive"] [-c "directive"] [-k signal]
              [-v] [-V] [-h] [-l] [-L] [-S] [-t] [-T]
  -D name          : define a name for use in <IfDefine name> directives
  [...]

but Stas Bekman over on dev@perl.apache.org prefers not having a space,
because "-Dname" is in line with typical C compilers' behaviour.

Hopefully the patch that I sent to dev@perl.apache.org to insert the
spaces will be kept since it seems to be required for 1.3.29 on Win32
(at least) and doesn't break anything else, but I just wondered whether
requiring the space was intentional or a bug?

Cheers,
- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions
of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached
virus transmitted by this email.