httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Greear <gree...@candelatech.com>
Subject Re: Adding support for SO_BINDTODEVICE
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:32:14 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 12:50 AM 2/13/2004, Ben Greear wrote:

> The only sane answer is to pass the ports back from a parent-process
> thread that spools em up.  but that won't work after the connection is
> accepted unless you pass them back through a Unix domain socket to
> be 'blessed' by bindtodevice.
>
> Are you certain you need to do this after accept?  I would think the
> incoming request is already bound to a specific adapter.  If you only
> need root creating the listeners on specific adapters, you already have
> root (heh - even http on port 80 needs root to create the listeners :-)

Actually, you may be correct.  My other code that uses this feature only
binds to the device when creating the listening socket and when
creating the initiating socket on the client side.  I'll do some
testing tomorrow to verify...

So far, 99% of the patch is in just trying to correctly parse the Listen eth0:192.168.1.5:80
line in the httpd.conf (and remain back-wards compat with the existing
format).

I should have a patch to send to the list tomorrow, errr much later this
morning!

Thanks,
Ben

--