httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Greear <gree...@candelatech.com>
Subject Re: Adding support for SO_BINDTODEVICE
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:50:23 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>
>> I have need of a web-server which can bind to a particular
>> device, both by binding to the local IP address and
>> also using the setsockopt(... SO_BINDTODEVICE) call.
>

>> Would there be any chance that such a patch would
>> be accepted into the main tree?
>

> sure there's a chance ;)  if a patch isn't hard to create and you need
> such a server anyway, post the patch and let us see what this involves;
> please note that new features like this should be in 2.1-dev...  you
> didn't mention which level of Apache you were interested in enhancing

I'm working on 2.0.48, the latest stable.  I assume the patch will
port forward to the development version fairly easily.

One question I have:  I need root priv to SO_BINDTODEVICE.  But,
it appears to be highly un-cool to run apache as root.  So, is
there any easy way to get root priv just while running the bind?

I will need to bind during the initial listening phase, and also
after an accept is done.

I'll try _DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE for now...

Thanks,
Ben