httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brett E." <brettspama...@fastclick.com>
Subject Re: Patch for query string customization?
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:03:02 GMT
André Malo wrote:

> * "Brett E." <brettspamacct@fastclick.com> wrote:
>

>>Sorry for the confusion. I meant is it possible to use a #define macro
>>for the query string delimiter. Ie, everywhere we use '?' in the code,
>>use say QUERY_STRING_DELIM. For example:
>>
>>modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c:
>>
>>     q = strchr(r->filename, '?');

>>     q = strchr(r->filename, QUERY_STRING_DELIM);
>>
>>..everywhere in the code.
>

> I think, no. The question mark as query string delimiter is well defined in
> several RFCs. Since we implement HTTP, there's no reason to make that
> configurable.
>
> nd

It is mentioned in the HTML spec:

---
HTML 4.01 Specification
W3C Recommendation 24 December 1999

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.2

The URI that is constructed when a form is submitted may be used as an
anchor-style link (e.g., the href attribute for the A element).
Unfortunately, the use of the "&" character to separate form fields
interacts with its use in SGML attribute values to delimit character
entity references. For example, to use the URI "http://host/?x=1&y=2" as
a linking URI, it must be written <A href="http://host/?x=1&#38;y=2"> or
<A href="http://host/?x=1&amp;y=2">.

We recommend that HTTP server implementors, and in particular, CGI
implementors support the use of ";" in place of "&" to save authors the
trouble of escaping "&" characters in this manner.
---
Another useful link:

http://www.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/2001-04/msg00060.html
---

So maybe we should conform to the spec and support both styles.