httpd-dev mailing list archives

From grega...@apache.org
Subject Re: FileSystem v.s. Other Resources [was configurable Location?]
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:11:17 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 04:34 PM 2/6/2004, gregames@apache.org wrote:
>
>>Joshua Slive wrote:

>>>And perhaps I'm going way off in left field here, but why should this be
>>>user-configurable at all?  Shouldn't the (for example) server-status
>>>handler know itself that it is a virtual handler, and therefore indicate
>>>that the directory-walk should be skipped?
>>
>>I like it!  assuming we tweak it to be the module's responsibility to declare this
property, vs. strictly the handler's (too late)

> Modules can do that today with some very trivial code...

I think I see a problem.  No doubt it could be made to work with a simple tweak.

SetHandler in the location container sets the handler field in the core "dir"
conf during location walk.

map_to_storage runs, but r->handler hasn't been updated due to the SetHandler
yet.  virtual_map_location doesn't know that it owns this URI.

An unnecessary directory walk happens.

core_override_type runs during the fixups phase and sets r->handler to the
handler specified in the <Location > block from the handler field in the core
"dir" config.  It's too late to affect the directory walk.

Another nit is that every module with virtual content would repeat essentially
the same code, other than checking the unique handler name of course, and add to
mainline path length on every request by increasing the number of map_to_storage
routines.  We would depend on each module zapping r->filename.  This doesn't
bother me for 2.0 if we can save a directory walk.

Greg