httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Lamb <>
Subject Re: 2.0.48 worker mpm on RH3 NPTL results
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:17:58 GMT
On Jan 12, 2004, at 10:45 AM, wrote:
> What did you use for ThreadsPerChild?  The default?  It's 25.  The
> reason I ask is I did some scalability measurements maybe a year ago
> and saw a lot of CPU usage in linuxthreads with a high number (maybe
> 1000) for ThreadsPerChild.  It was in some pthread mutex unlock
> function, doing a serial search for the highest priority thread to
> wake up.  This is pointless in our case because all the worker threads
> are the same priority.  I'm hoping that this problem is fixed in the
> new pthread library, but haven't verified it.

NPTL, for better or for worse, does not honor priorities. Quoting from

Realtime support is mostly missing from the library implementation. The
system calls to select scheduling parameters are available but they
have not effects. The reason for this is that large parts of the kernel
do not follow the rules for realtime scheduling. Waking one of the
threads waiting for a futex is not done by looking at the priorities of
the waiters.

Scott Lamb

View raw message