httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/winnt child.c mpm_winnt.c mpm_winnt.h
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:39:50 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Checkout this patch. I -know- state AP_MPMQ_RESTARTING does not exist in
> ap_mpm.h (so this patch will not compile) but consider it for purposes
> of discussion.  The parent process always goes through master_main() and
>  master_main() can distinguish between stopping and graceful restarting
> and this would be useful information for a Windows module in the parent
> process for purposes discussed above.

a comment on just the AP_MPMQ_RESTARTING idea:

Unix code can probably distinguish between restarting or not too, but
the purpose of simply reporting that we're stopping is that most code
only cares whether or not this MPM process is exiting, and if we only
report the more granular information, we've created extra work for most
modules and made it more error prone to check.  The more granular
information should be reported by a separate query call which can
distinguish between

   stopping because the entire server is shutting down completely
   stopping, but just this process (idle or hit MaxRequestsPerChild)
   stopping gracefully during restart procedure
   stopping ungracefully during restart procedure