httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Philosphical help - module or CGI
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:59:17 GMT
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Kean Johnston wrote:

> Good morning all,
>
> For a (private) project I am working on, I would appreciate a little
> advice. The system produces mostly dynamic content, very little static
> stuff. A lot of the data that will be served up by httpd comes from a
> daemon running on the same host, and all of the required data is in a
> shared memory segment.

SHared memory is not easy with Apache.  If you implement a pool /
pointers in shared memory, then you're significantly advancing it.
If you need shared memory pointers, you might be better-off writing
a separate daemon, and connecting to your module.

> I can either produce the content with a CGI that attaches to the shared
> segment, gets the data and renders it in HTML,

I'd suggest a persistent daemon.  Perhaps prototype it as a single
program, then separate off the shm via RPC.  Of course if your shm
use doesn't involve pointers then it's all much simpler.

> frequently and almost always in core. Of course, I can hack the web
> server to my hearts content, and possibly even have the main httpd
> create the semaphores and shared memory segments, so that when it
> preforks, all of the children already have all of those set up and
> simply need to use the semaphore for the read lock, render the data from
> the shared segment and be done with it.

Take a look at the DB Pool modules at apache.webthing.com.
A similar approach might be what you need.

> Do you think it would be overkill to write this as a module, or would
> the simplicity gained by writing a normal CGI be worth it? I've not
> written an Apache module before, so it would be a bit of a learning
> curve, but a worthwhile one I think.

I agree with that.  Once you're up the curve it becomes just as
simple as CGI, and gives you more flexibility and modularity.

> I intend to implement this using httpd 2.0, if that makes any difference.

Yes, that's a far more powerful development platform than 1.x.

--
Nick Kew