httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: new ETag supression/weakening API
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:30:28 GMT
> one of the issues that needed working out was dealing with multiple
> ETag
> headers.  my original idea was to have ap_weaken_etag guarantee that
> ETag
> headers would be weak.  with ETag headers entering err_headers_out via
> third party, there exists the possibility that the server would send
> multiple ETag headers for a single request.  while I'm not sure if
> this is
> actually legal, I can't find anything that says it isn't.

RFC 2616, section 3.11, BNF does not allow multiple ETag header fields.

I think you need to work on making this patch more efficient -- it is
doing too much work for an activity in the critical path of servicing
a request.  BTW, an entity tag does not identify the entity -- it merely
acts as a key for cache and range request handling.  If a filter
consistently produces the same content, then it should not modify the
entity tag (the routine that arranges the filters must do that if
needed).

....Roy