httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new <IfThreaded> directive (was Re: [patch] adding mpm info to httpd -V)
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:52:05 GMT
At 02:10 PM 12/3/2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>> <IfThreaded>
>>>     MaxThreadsPerChild   5
>>> </IfThreaded>
>>

>> This rubs me the wrong way FWIW.
>
>oops, sorry :)

I don't care for that container either... but even horrible new ideas
are always good when then generate more ideas :)

>> If somebody really wants to do this they
>> could use IfDefine;  though it would be easier if the core pre-defined
>> some symbol for use in IfDefine, it is doable as-is.
>
>sure.  the only reason I didn't go that way was that the docs seem to say
>that <IfDefine> only applies to -D command-line parameters - I wasn't
>familiar enough with the directives to see if there were other, internal -D
>flags that were also used.

Actually, such defines might need to be a little more dynamic, but either
<IfDefine AP_MPM_THREADED> would be good, or if we absolutely
needed too, we could add <IfFeature FOO> where features could be
registered, by the core or by a loaded module.

Individual <IfFoo> blocks would pollute the command table significantly,
slowing down config parsing by a corresponding amount.

Bill