httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Forensic Logging
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:13:17 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:
> One of the problems that crops up depressingly often is that someone
> gets owned, and they can't find out why. This is generally because the
> offending request didn't get logged, because the server died before it
> logged it.

far more often than getting owned are the run-of-the-mill crashes, where this
would save a bit of time too

> I propose that we should include this as a standard module.

+1 (concept)

> I think we
> should also enable it by default.

then simply building new Apache with previous configure invocation will result
in this fresh piece of code inside the server writing logs...  this doesn't
sound very safe to me ;)

I think you should have to specify a log file name for it to do anything and:

2.1: fine with me if module is built/loaded by default

1.3, 2.0: I suggest enabling with --enable-modules={most|all} but not by default