httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: why open_logs/post_config hooks are run only for the main server?
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:47:42 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Only question below is should this hook always run before or after the
>>post config hook?  My gut says after post config.
>

> just going from what you had said earlier:
>

>>It is almost worth a totally different hook entry point (before
>>post_config) such as vhost_init which *would* be called per-vhost
>>(starting from the main server config and working through the list.)
>

> :)
>
> but now that I think about it, if post_config is where module init stuff
> lives, then it feels right to have vhosts initialized prior to that, since
> the new hook seems like more of a config-type thing.  but it's not hard to
> see how someone could have the opposite viewpoint, so no strong feelings
> here either way.
>
> the only other (unrelated) thought that I had was that it might be more
> self-documenting to name it host_init rather than vhost_init, keeping it
> very obvious that it runs for the main server as well as any configured vhosts.

I'm not sure this is a good idea to run it on the main host. If it was we
could just as well run post_config for each vhost as well. The problem is that
if that hook is configurable via a directive this directive will be inherited
by all vhosts if defined in the main server (via the usual merge rules). And
you end up running it for each vhost even if you didn't intend to.

So if adding this hook at all, it should be invoked *only* on vhosts, and
never on the main server i.e.:

+    for (s = server_conf->next; s; s = s->next) {
+        if ( ap_run_vhost_init(pconf, plog, ptemp, s) != OK) {
+            ap_log_error(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_STARTUP |APLOG_ERR,
+                         0, NULL, "Unable to initialize virtual hosts\n");
+            destroy_and_exit_process(process, 1);
+       }
+    }

and then vhost_init is the right choice.