httpd-dev mailing list archives

From grega...@apache.org
Subject Re: [Fwd: cvs commit: httpd-test/specweb99/specweb99-2.0 mod_specweb99.c]
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:37:17 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:
> this commit reminds me..
> weren't we going to do something similiar to this in 2.1 for the default
> file handler? (replace the 'stat' with a 'fstat')
>
> Will .. do you remember the whole details? it was something about
> putting the handle into the request_rec or something

I think that would be a great idea for a couple of reasons* but never got around
to working out an implementation.  The problem is that it involves the core,
apr, at least the default handler, and perhaps other 3rd party handlers (who
knows? not me).

Greg

*reasons:
- performance.  saves a path walk in the kernel, which can contribute to lock
contention at least on Linux SMP systems
- get rid of an annoying window/sucky code to compensate.  Our current
implementation stats the file, saves the info, then later opens the file and
uses the info which may now be stale.  For example, the file might have been
replaced by a larger one between stat() and open().  We use the old size, and
sendfile gets confused.