httpd-dev mailing list archives

From grega...@apache.org
Subject Re: completing 2.0 scoreboard data set
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:00:29 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> (Lots of structures aren't arranged to minimize or make available for
> future use the inevitable padding, but the scoreboard is one where we
> potentally have a great number of them in shared memory and also where
> changing the size of the structure can break some modules.)
>
> Also, should we be allowing modules to look at the scoreboard structures
> directly, or indexing into the scoreboard arrays directly?  If the
> latter were avoided, at least we could add fields to the end of
> process_score or worker_score without hurting modules (okay to require
> MPMs to be recompiled until such time that they can be dynamically loaded).

we've got accessor functions - ap_get_scoreboard_(worker|parent|global) - which
look correct.  Why not require non-MPM modules to use those?

There shouldn't be a noticable performance hit.  I'm assuming
ap_update_child_status* would continue to access the structures directly, which
  won't be a problem if the base server is recompiled when the scoreboard
structures change.

Greg