httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Hook to allow insertion of filters during error processing
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:40:24 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
> [...]
>
>> hopefully, this kind of makes sense to at least some people.  personally,
>> the only thing that makes sense to me is moving conditonal GET logic
>> to it's
>> own filter, similar to Content-Length I suppose.  yes, it would slow down
>> the server for default+deflate responses, but I guess that would be the
>> trade-off for allowing people to properly control the
>> cache-correctness of
>> their responses (among other things).
>

> What if you use a plain connection filter to manipulate the headers and
> remove it the moment the output headers have been sent? If understand
> correctly you want this filter to be triggered the moment the first bit
> of the response body is sent (if any). Could this be then done by a
> response body filter which will then immediately remove itself from the
> filters stack?

maybe - I don't really understand why you would need to remove it.  but
whether it's an intermediate filter that can be removed or whatever is
secondary - until people buy into whether conditional GET logic ought to be
in a filter at all (and thus after  _all_
content-generating-and-manipulating filter have run) there's really no point
in figuring out an implementation.  that is, probably - if people just want
to see code, then I guess we can work up something, too :)

--Geoff