httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: new <IfThreaded> directive (was Re: [patch] adding mpm info to httpd -V)
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:17:55 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>>This rubs me the wrong way FWIW.
>>
>>oops, sorry :)
>

> I don't care for that container either... but even horrible new ideas
> are always good when then generate more ideas :)

:)

>>>If somebody really wants to do this they
>>>could use IfDefine;  though it would be easier if the core pre-defined
>>>some symbol for use in IfDefine, it is doable as-is.
>>
>>sure.  the only reason I didn't go that way was that the docs seem to say
>>that <IfDefine> only applies to -D command-line parameters - I wasn't
>>familiar enough with the directives to see if there were other, internal -D
>>flags that were also used.
>

> Actually, such defines might need to be a little more dynamic, but either
> <IfDefine AP_MPM_THREADED> would be good, or if we absolutely
> needed too, we could add <IfFeature FOO> where features could be
> registered, by the core or by a loaded module.

actually, the other idea I had (going for 0-2 on the horrible new idea theme
:) was <IfMPM AP_MPMQ_IS_THREADED> (or somesuch) as a direct interface to
ap_mpm_query, but I thought that outside of threaded/forked there wasn't
much other useful config-time information there.

but either/any form would probably be valuable to somebody somewhere along
the line.

> Individual <IfFoo> blocks would pollute the command table significantly,
> slowing down config parsing by a corresponding amount.

ah, good point.

--Geoff