httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [patch] adding mpm info to httpd -V
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:07:46 GMT

>> wow, I didn't expect to see this followed up upon.  thanks.
>

> maybe httpd developers should be stranded in airports more often...
> also, several weeks ago somebody was complaining to me about various
> things they didn't like about Apache 2... one of the ones I took note of
> was having httpd -V display the name of the MPM...  so when I saw your
> old post I could visualize that to-do getting marked DONE with little
> effort on my part :)

:)

>>> too bad ap_show_mpm doesn't list this like other modules :(
>>> ("prefork.c" or "worker.c")... the major source file name is what you
>>> need in <IfModule FOO>
>>

>> hmm... odd.  I guess I'll take your word for it that doesn't work now

oh, I see what you mean now - <IfModule prefork.c> works but httpd -V
doesn't show prefork.c.

> very minor issue... forget about it :)

k :)

>> but if it doesn't I'd be happy to try and make it work if there is a
>> consensus that it would be a good thing.  the only issue I can see is
>> something mentioned in the original thread on test-dev@ - that
>> attributes like being threaded (or not) are generally more useful than
>> the more simplistic approach of looking for worker.c.
>>
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-test-dev&m=105795076610731&w=2
>

> do whatever Stas said w.r.t. that :)

well, I wasn't taling about the Apache-Test stuff, per se, but rather what
Bill had to say about querying for specific mpm's versus threads in general,
which I think is a very good point - I actually care very little in my code
whether apache is using worker or leader, it's threads or not that's
important (to me anyway :)  thus the below...

>> nevertheless, I'd be happy to do the scut work here and code both up
>> (httpd -V and IfDefine/IfModule stuff) if some agreement can be
>> reached on exactly what it all ought to look like.
>

> scratch the Ifdefine issue for now...  I don't think it is so
> important...  at worst, we just have to change the definition of the
> MPM_NAME symbol in each MPM's header file

contrary to your advice, I took the initiative and coded <IfThreaded>
against 2.1.  basically, this would allow you to group threaded directives
together.  so, instead of this

<IfModule worker.c>
    ThreadsPerChild      5
</IfModule>

<IfModule perchild.c>
    MaxThreadsPerChild   5
</IfModule>

<IfModule prefork.c>
    MaxClients           5
</IfModule>

and so on for every threaded mpm, we could have

<IfThreaded>
    MaxThreadsPerChild   5
</IfThreaded>

<IfModule prefork.c>
    MaxClients           5
</IfModule>

I toyed with the idea of adding <IfNotThreaded> to parallel the concept, but
I wasn't sure about it - I figured I'd see how the initial idea went over
first :)

so, patch attached and feedback welcome.  I'll work on the real httpd -V
stuff later this afternoon.

--Geoff