httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Forensic Logging
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:56:51 GMT
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 01:39:28PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> So, I've written a forensic logging module. What this does is log the
> request as soon as all the headers have been read, then log again when
> its complete. Any request that doesn't complete should be viewed with
> great suspicion!

Cool, extremely useful in a lot of circumstances. Just one or two
questions though. Is next_id deliberately random? It doesn't seem
to get initialised anywhere, though that may be a feature.

Could the forensic_id be tied in with mod_unique_id? It seems confusing
to have two different methods to generate unique id's for requests. Also
with unique_id, I can see it being useful to make CGI's aware of their
"tracking code" via the environment variable. That way a developer can
use the same id to track ingress, processing and egress.

Or at least, could a host-specific part be added to the forensic id?
A lot of people collate logs (myself included ;) from clusters or whatever
and this would make life much easier there.