httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: UseCanonicalName Off *surprise*
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:16:24 GMT
On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 10:04:15AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> UseCanonicalName Off, Host: header provided (HTTP/1.1)
>
>   The host name header *excluding the host header port suffix * of the request
>   is concatenated to httpd 1.3's Port directive setting or the real port number
>   in httpd 2.0.

The Port directive has some muddled ServerName/UseCanonicalName semantics
which is what distinguishes it from the Listen directive. I think the
behaviour you describe is intended.

> Now this might appear to be a moot issue, but if a proxy that doesn't mangling
> headers bounces requests from port 80 to another server's port 8080 attempting
> to impersonate the front end proxy, everything should work, in theory, with
> UseCanonicalName Off.  As it turns out, UseCanonicalName must be turned
> on to avoid the port :8080 suffix from being appended to the redirects.

In this situation you should be using Listen rather than Port. Is 2.0 different?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
SHETLAND ISLES: NORTHWEST 4, EASING VARIABLE 2. LATER INCREASING EAST THEN