httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: Release Frequency and Testing
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:04:27 GMT
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Robert La Ferla wrote:

> link to the latest source tree but the source code there does not have a
> configure script.  Yes, I can build the script (autoconf?) but if you
> want people to test software on a regular basis, it would be better to
> have a ready to go source release on a nightly basis.  Perhaps, you have
> this but I couldn't find it.

Have you seen the snapshots?  They get taken once every 6 hours.  See
http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/httpd-2.0/ .  Granted, they haven't had
./buildconf run on them, and I think the ones we have are all currently
httpd-2.1.x and not httpd-2.0.x.  We should fix that.  (Somebody?
Please?)

> There's also the issue of release frequency.  I remember seeing some
> discussion about it several releases ago but no action was taken.  More
> frequent releases would be much welcomed.

We've discussed this at length, actually (including at ApacheCon last
week).  The main thing just seems to be having volunteers to do the
releases.  It's a fairly grueling process.  Some people (eg Aaron Bannert)
have argued that it ought not be grueling, but most of us would rather see
fewer releases we're more confident in than more releases we're less
confident in.  But that's not to say that if someone wants to step up and
release a tarball once a week or something that they can't do it.  We just
haven't had such a volunteer yet.

> Take this recent user_track bug.  A lot of sites use cookie tracking.
> It would be great if there was a release that fixed it.  In the interim,
> it would be nice to see some mention of a workaround on the site for
> users.

I'll go post a notice on httpd.apache.org.

--Cliff