httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: consider reopening 1.3
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:46:26 GMT

On Nov 16, 2003, at 2:23 PM, Glenn wrote:

>> I don't expect any of the current Apache developers would be
>> interested in
>> this.  But plenty of people join the development community over time
>> (see
>> previous comments) and theoretically the opinions could change.
>
> Well, I am interested.  And some others on this list are interested.
> What must we do to have the opportunity to scratch this itch?
> I suggested releasing 1.4 and opening 1.5 dev, along with better
> patch management, to which you also agree a better job need be done.
>
> I do not think that the _current_ Apache is and _will forever be_ the
> right tool for a web server.  The size of the bug database and feature
> requests should be sufficient evidence to support this point.  I also
> believe that there needs to be an even easier migration path from 1.3
> to 2.x, despite how good it is already.
>
> So what will it take to convince the core developers to reopen 1.3?
> I'm less interested in opinions and more interested in getting
> something
> done.

Why 1.4? What will 1.4 have that 1.3 does not? Or do you mean
reopening 1.3 implies that it becomes 1.4?

But as the RM for the last X 1.3 releases, I think (hope) that
it's obvious that I think the 1.3 tree still has a lot of
life and a lot of interest in it. The less-than-expected
migration from 1.x to 2.x has not happened, and the reasons
why are many and few. It's for that reason, and others,
that I try to keep 1.3 going.

I've never considered 1.3 "closed" so I see no need to "re-open"
it. Maybe "open it up more", that is, by allowing new features to
be added, etc... I'm certainly ++1 about that. But I think
confusing things with a 1.4/1.5 branch doesn't make sense, unless
people can *actually* specify what would require a bump like that...

So:

    +1 for "officially" allowing active development on 1.3
    -1 for 1.4/1.5 "just because"