httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.28 SEGFAULTS and doesn't produce a core file
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 03:59:54 GMT
>>> some reason, Apache keeps SEGFAULT'ing every 4 - 5 days. When apache
>>> SEGFAULTS, it doesn't produce a core file, and spits out the following
>>> items in our error_log:
>>
>> Did you set your ulimit -S -c to a value other than 0? You need to do that
>
> I sure did. I read somewhere that the Linux 2.4 kernel won't allow
> processes that change their user ids to dump core. I see why they did
> that, but it is really putting me in a bind. Are there any other ways
> to determine why Apache is dieing? ANy other thoughts on why the
> prtctl plugin isn't allowing Apache to dump core?

Yeah, that's strange because, looking at the code, this is exactly what the
module is supposed to do. You could run your server as non-root, so it
doesn't setuid and setgid on the children: this would take away the kernel's
issues with letting the children dump core. The server would have to be able
to bind to its listening port(s) (use >1024) and write to its log directory
and files.

S.

--
Covalent Technologies                 sctemme@covalent.net
Engineering group                    Voice: (415) 856 4214

PGP FP: 7A8D B189 E871 80CB 9521  9320 C11E 7B47 964F 31D9

This email message is for the sole use of the intended
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original message