httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter J. Cranstone" <cransto...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Apache 2.0 Uptake thoughts
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:21:51 GMT
Bill,

Thanks for the great link. Here's one for you:

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/server_graph.html?type=http&domaindir=
&month=200310&servbase=YToxOntpOjA7czoxMzoiQXBhY2hlLzEuMy4yNyI7fQ==&serv1=QX
BhY2hlLzIuMC40Nw==

It's the historical market share of all servers overlaid with 2.0.47

2.0.47 is making progress but you can clearly see that it's taken many years
to get any traction.

Here's a question for you seeing that your closely related to Covalent....
where are the Covalent stats for sites running their version of Apache 2.x?

How many servers have they shipped?

Thanks

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 1:33 AM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Apache 2.0 Uptake thoughts

For those interested in the question of Apache 2.0 uptake, my favorite
resource
is http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/index.html - where you get
gobs of details.  The upgrade/downgrade report helps identify if a release
was
a winner (mostly upgrading to, or through, that version) - or a loser (when
you
see some significant percentage fall back on earlier releases.)

Drill down to Theft and Upgrades, choose Apache, then a specific release,
e.g.
2.0.47.  Scroll down to the version upgrade/downgrade list.

Some of this is going to be random noise - multiple versions working in a
distributed farm, pre-adoption testing, or difficulty reconfiguring the
server
(in the case of 1.3 -> 2.0 transitions.)  But notably, 29.4k sites upgraded
to .47 in October, and 1k sites backed down.  Good retention, it indicates
that the 2.0.47 release solved problems.  (191 moved forward to 2.0.48-dev,
not a bad thing at all.)

The server details is also fun, no matter if you are comparing products or
very specific releases.  Here's where it's interesting.

IIS 6.0 has 1.28% of the servers out there, that's about 5 1/3% of all IIS
servers deployed.  This, with a version that rolls out-of-the-box with
specific
flavors of the Windows OS.

About the same time as IIS 6, Apache 2.0 rolled out.  Ignoring for a moment
the 9.13% of Apache servers that don't reveal their version whatsoever,
ang ignorning rounding errors, 3.57% of the servers out there use some 2.0
version of Apache, so that 6% of Apache servers (identifying themselves)
run 2.0 as opposed to another version.

Personally,  I'm pleased by a 6% uptake in a software application that
doesn't
have to change till someone needs the new features, given that we continue
to provide the security patches people need for their existing 1.3
infrastructure.

Of course it will only grow higher if folks trust 2.0 and can get their
problems
solved, which the current dialog in dev@httpd I hope will help address.

Just statistics to ponder as we approach next week.  See you all in Vegas!

Bill