httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Finding da fun.
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:46:13 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> In this discussion people have been making two kinds of lists.  The
> list of hypothetical reasons why activity seems to be petering out.
> The list of possible cures for those hypothetical ills.
>
> We need a third list.  A list of fun hacks that 2.0 enables.
>
> It would be good to spend more effort on what the compelling value in
> the 2.0 family is and making it more accessible for people.  Doc that
> lowers the barrier to entry.  Success stories that create a sense of
> safety.

Fundamentally, the filter mechanism in 2.0 makes it easy to mix and match
different ways of obtaining content with different ways of delivering
content.  Need to run mod_include on the output of your servlet engine?
In 2.0, you can do so by editing a config file.  With most other webservers,
1.3 included, you have to rewrite the appserver connector.  Need to compress
or encrpyt the output of *any* handler?  In 2.0, you can do so by loading
the right filter and editing a config file.  Need to use special logic for
reading files from a document root due to NFS race conditions?  In 2.0, just
add a new handler and you can seamlessly stream the output through whatever
stack of output filters you're already using.

As for what's *wrong* with 2.0 (and 2.1), at the top of my list is
scalability.
We probably need to move to a multiple-connection-per-thread
architecture for
lower memory usage and more predictable response times under high loads.
Historically, this has been one of the most-discussed changes proposed for
2.1; the only limitation is finding time to work on it. :-)

Brian