httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Estrade <apa...@moresecurity.org>
Subject Re: the wheel of httpd-dev life is surely slowing down, solutionsplease
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:29:39 GMT
Hi,

I would like to speak a little about all this slow answer or review
problems.
i will take example of my last patch about ldap-cache.
I started doing it 5 month ago, and posted few patch many times on dev@.
Nobody answered on the list, i posted about 4 or 5 times the same
subject and patches.
Finally, i sent an email to concerned people and i get answer it was a
good job. The patch was not commited.
Then i continued working on it and made it more stable (the more i am
able...) I posted it few times again on the dev@ and on bugzilla, no
more answer during one month...
Then, Jeff Trawick get it and it become faster, lots of mail and
communication, and finally, the patch was commited last week.

I understand core team have a lot of work reviewing, implementing new
features, patching and fixing bugs... But on the other side (mine), it's
really discouraging to don't get answer during 3-4 month about work i did.
I needed this patch for my company and it was working here... so finally
there is no problem it was commited or not...
This slow answer and when there is, is bad for people who submit/write
patches...
Maybe a new patch management or more people able to commit/review
"experimental/modules only" would be good. It could encourage people to
participate more in apache httpd project.
I can speak with many cool people on IRC and apache channels which is
why i continue effort, but people not in this case will i think, not try
a lot to help.

This is not "reproach" or bad mind about people in apache, but it's just
a feedback about somebody who try to help and participate.
I hope my english was not too bad and there isn't wrong sense in what i
said.
People who use to speak with me should understand...

Matthieu