httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Apache gprof profiling
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:24:51 GMT
Chris Knight wrote:

> After Jeff graciously pointed out that some gprof changes had occurred
> in 2.1-dev, I decided to give it a try and sure enough I could get a
> gmon.out file. Then, after doing a bunch of diffs, I came to the
> conclusion that the code defguarded by NO_USE_SIGACTION was removed in
> 2.1 and I tried defining that, sure enough it works now. Huzzah! (Just
> thought I'd report in so someone else trying to profile 2.0 will not
> stumble across this problem.)

weird...  there was some code in 2.0.48's prefork.c guarded by NO_USE_SIGACTION
that was moved to mpm_common.c in 2.1-dev... it is supposed to be the same :)

> So the way to get profiling in 2.0.48:
>
> % setenv CFLAGS '-pg -DGPROF -g -DNO_USE_SIGACTION'

I would normally assume that I broke it when I moved the signal setup related
to coredumping signals to mpm_common.c in 2.1-dev.  But I think you're saying
that the modern sigaction() logic actually works in 2.1-dev, but in 2.0.48 you
have to avoid the sigaction() via -DNO_USE_SIGACTION because it is broken :)
Very weird.

The big difference between sigaction flavor and no_use_sigaction flavor in
2.0.48 when httpd is started with -X option seems to be that the sigaction
flavor sets up handlers for SIGXCPU and SIGXFSZ, whereas the no_use_sigaction
flavor does not.