httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: piped log files
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:23:44 GMT
Glenn wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 05:57:25AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>>Glenn wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe out in left field, but could ErrorLog be moved from the core
>>>and into mod_log_config?  Then, if mod_log_config is not present,
>>>or no ErrorLog directive is specified, then stderr can be used.
>>>Any special reason to keep it in the core?
>>
>>because it is a critical function?
>>
>>If it is able to format write to stderr if no module has taken over the
>>function, most of the existing support is required anyway.  And if core
>>code does the work of formatting, then there is no use in an external
>>module to have to do that.
>

> Not so.
> You said yourself that the code that handles piped logs is in two places,
> once in the core and once in mod_log_config, and this prevented you from
> committing a patch which only fixed a problem in one of those places.

no, I was trying to simplify this situation since I didn't figure anybody cared
about the detail :)  it would have been helpful if I had been more explicit

both sets of code to handle piped loggers are in core...  one set is *on behalf
of* plug-ins such as mod_log_config

what/where is that?  repost to dev@httpd

 >I was thinking along the lines of mod_log_config exporting a function
 >to handle piped logs.

what if somebody doesn't want the mainline function of mod_log_config and
instead has a different logging module?  does that different logging module
have to implement the piped log feature also?

 > Main point: duplicated code == BAD.

understood, it just happens that it isn't a duplication between mod_log_config
and core, but a duplication of core and core... certainly combining as much as
possible is a good thing to do...  personally I won't be doing any such thing
until I know why the broken flavor is broken ;)