httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: piped log files
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:57:25 GMT
Glenn wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:02:16AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>>unless somebody speaks up soon, I'll commit the patch to Apache 2.1-dev
>>status: I hit a bit of a hangup that must be debugged :(
>>there are two pieces of code handling piped loggers: error log and
>>mod_log_config...  in 1.3, both handled shell operations...  in 2.0, as you
>>discovered, neither handles shell operations
>>the patch you are using is fine AFAICT, but trying the same change to the
>>code to handle piped error log results in quite a bit of unhappiness (no
>>logging at all)...  that needs to be tracked down before trying to fix half
>>the problem
> Maybe out in left field, but could ErrorLog be moved from the core
> and into mod_log_config?  Then, if mod_log_config is not present,
> or no ErrorLog directive is specified, then stderr can be used.
> Any special reason to keep it in the core?

because it is a critical function?

If it is able to format write to stderr if no module has taken over the
function, most of the existing support is required anyway.  And if core code
does the work of formatting, then there is no use in an external module to have
to do that.

Apache 2.0 did add an error log hook so that modules can grab error log entries
and log them however they want.  So some mod_log_error (why clutter up
mod_log_config) could handle error log; we'd just need a way to turn off the
default error log.

View raw message