httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server protocol.c
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:33:13 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 10:22 AM 11/1/2003, trawick@apache.org wrote:
>
>>trawick     2003/11/01 08:22:16
>>
>> backport this from Apache 2.1-dev:
>>
>>     Set the scoreboard state to indicate logging prior to running
>>     logging hooks so that server-status will show 'L' for hung loggers
>>     instead of 'W'.
>

> Ya know - this is such a cool idea I'm thinking we aught to do the same for
> local CGI and backend proxy transmissions.  Something like 'G' while we
> are processing cgi (stdin/out piping) and 'P' while connecting, reading and
> writing with the backend proxy box.  Comments?

There is a great value in allowing arbitrary modules to be able to specify a
more granular representation of the processing phase.  'G' and 'P' sound great
when we're talking about a chummy set of Apache modules, but it will get
confusing if all sorts of modules get into the act.

Maybe arbitrary modules could be allowed to update another piece of scoreboard
memory for formatting in the extendedstatus table?  Storing the module index
(to display module name) and a two-char code specified by the module would be nice.