httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Antw: RE: consider reopening 1.3
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:25:55 GMT

On Nov 17, 2003, at 3:17 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> As someone working in a company like that, I can tell you definitively
> that this is not true.  At least not here at the biggest web company in
> the world.
> -Rasmus

Well, I can certainly say that with respect to many, many of
the clients I've worked with, it most certainly *is* the case.
Not having a WebLogic or WebSphere DSO, for example, puts 'em
in a world of hurt. Big time.

Look at the impact of not having 2.0 modules severely
limited the acceptance of 2.0. Not having 1.4 modules
will most certainly do the same*. If 1.4 == 1.3,
binary-wise, then it's a non-issue; if not, it's
a *major* issue.

* Yes, part of the delay was due to porting, which
   may not be one with 1.4. But we are *still* talking
   about distribution, support, etc.. of a load of

View raw message