httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Release Frequency and Testing
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:07:57 GMT
On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:13:09PM -0500, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> What testing gets performed prior to an official httpd 2.x release?  I
> think whatever test suite is used, needs some updating to include
> configurations that utilize more features like user tracking, caching
> and multi-views.  The last release (2.0.48) crashes on startup for my
> configuration which includes those features.  I will submit a bug report
> later.  However, I have seen some previous releases that had other crash
> bugs on startup as well.  2.0.48 was supposed to be a bug fix release
> but some other bugs were introduced.  If the frequency of the 2.x
> releases was greater (shorter time between releases), it wouldn't be as
> a big of a problem.  I have noticed that 2.x releases seem to take much
> longer than ones in the 1.x days.  I guess what I am saying here is that
> I hope there can be some discussion about the frequency of releases
> (making a conscious effort to make them more frequent) as well as a
> review of what testing gets done prior to a release.

The Apache Software Foundation makes no warranty about the products
it releases. We do try and release software with high quality, but we
make no guarantees.

Having said that, there is an effort underway to produce more timely
releases, and to do more frequent pre-releases. I recently posted
a 2.1.0-rc1 build that you may download and test. Please feel free
to report bugs on pre-release code directly to this mailing list.
Crash-on-startup bugs are particularly interesting. :)

-aaron