httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Querna" <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject RE: consider reopening 1.3
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:15:42 GMT
> just to pop my 2 cents worth in here ... I have some clients that
> have deployed under Apache2 ... the major headache(s) that I've had
> to date is that the FreeBSD thread support is still listed as unusable:
>
>             * If you are building on FreeBSD, be aware that threads will
>               be disabled and the prefork MPM will be used by
> default,              as threads do not work well with Apache on
> FreeBSD.  If              you wish to try a threaded Apache on
> FreeBSD anyway, use              "./configure --enable-threads".

On FreeBSD 4.X it is broken(and will be forever?).  On FreeBSD 5.X, use KSE
threading (which may become the default in the future 5.2 release anyways?)
and it works great. man libmap.conf on a FreeBSD box for information on todo
this.(see also: freebsd-threads mailing list)

> and mod_* support ... last I checked, mod_gzip is still Apache1-only,

mod_gzip?  Try mod_deflate, it is included with apache 2:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html

> everytime someone asks about Apache2 on the PHP mailing lists, the general
> answer seems to be "we're waiting for the API to settle down" ...

Well, I think that excuse is BS. Apache 2.0.X is keeping binary compatibility
now.  Not too many major API changes that I am aware of.

> For me, the big benefit to Apache2 is/will be going to threaded, so until
> either the FreeBSD/threaded issue is resolved, I'm "stuck" with
> Apache1 :(

I use FreeBSD 5.1/current with the worker MPM with libkse.
'works for me'

-Paul Querna