httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: the wheel of httpd-dev life is surely slowing down, solutions please
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:38:11 GMT
On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 05:50:46PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Monday, November 10, 2003 17:14:35 -0800 Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org>
> wrote:
> I believe Sander's suggested that we start a patch manager role (discussion
> at AC Hackathon!).  A few other projects I'm involved with do this.  It'd
> be goodness, I think.  But, the problem is finding a volunteer willing to
> shepherd patches.

-1

Creating roles like this is just as bad as having chunks of httpd "owned"
by one particular developer. (See below)

Having a patch tracking tool would be a much better solution, in my opinion.

> >a. certain (most?) chunks of httpd lack owners. If httpd was to have
>
> I really dislike this.  The least maintained modules are those that had
> 'owners.'  When those owners left, they didn't send a notice saying, 'we're
> leaving.'  The code just rotted.
>
> I firmly believe that httpd's group ownership is the right model.  Only
> recently have those modules that had 'owners' been cleaned up.  (Yay for
> nd!)

+1

> >b. similar to the root rotation we have on the infrastructure, I
> >suggest to have a voluntary weekly rotation of httpd-dev list champion
>
> +1

-1

How is this different than "owners" above? You can't expect developers
on this list to think ahead of time when they might have extra time
to contribute to this project. Most of the time it is on a whim
late at night when all of the important chores are taken care of.
If you ask for people to sign up for a slotted amount of time,
you'll only end up excluding people who don't work on Apache at
their day job.

> Additionally, I'd say that we're best off *slowing* down 2.x development to
> let module authors write modules against 2.0.  Changing the world in 2.2
> would be detrimental, I think.

Woah woah woah. Are you discouraging people from thinking about big changes
for the 2.2 timeframe? If someone has a revolutionary idea for the next
generation of Apache HTTPD, who will stand in their way? Not I.

-aaron