httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc G. Fournier" <scra...@hub.org>
Subject [APACHE2] http://domain/ generating garbage output ...
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 05:05:46 GMT

I've just spent the past little while searching Google for anything that
might shed some light on this, and am drawing a blank ... from what I can
tell, it isn't a configuration issue (unless I'm missing a configuration
setting), but I don't know how to debug it from the server end ...

I just setup an Apache 2.0.48 server, and all the config files are 'the
default' based on what FreeBSD installs from ports ... if I go to:

http://domain

I get a string of 'garbage'(high ascii?) characters across my browser,
almost as if its reading the raw directory, but if I go to:

http://domain/index.html

the page comes up fine ...

I have a DirectoryIndex in place:

        DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.cgi index.htm home.htm

And if I put an index.php file in place, it gets loaded up fine as just
'http://domain' ... but if I remove it, I have to references the
index.html explicitly for me to get up a page ...

I saw the FAQ items about MMAP and SendFile, but altho I did try them just
in case, they dn't appear pertinent, since the index.html page is
accessible if referenced directly, just not when referenced with the
DirectoryIndex directive ... and from what I understand about those
directives, the pages wouldn't load up either way, but I might be
mis-understanding on that one ...

I tried removing the index.php from the DirectoryIndex directive, but that
didn't make any difference either ...

I'm figuring that its something obvious I'm not seeing ... or a directive
that I'm not finding?

I have 2.0.47 on another machine that appears to be working as expected,
so I'm curious as to whether its maybe a bug in 2.0.48 ... ?

Help?

Thanks ...