httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <>
Subject Re: OT: Freebsd 3.4 binaries on 4.8/4.9
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:46:31 GMT
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:26:55AM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Because I want to provide some FreeBSD binaries of the
> latest release, and I'm lazy, I need to ask: Will binaries
> compiled under FreeBSD 3.4 work under 4.8/4.9 ?

The binaries will run, but if they use any kernel structures
which have changed, it's a no-hoper. If memory serves me
correctly, at least the pwd/utmp/wtmp structures changed and some
of the process info ones. So that could affect mod_userdir,
suexec and so on, and probably more.

Then again it's so long ago that I was sure of any of this,
it could be complete nonsense :)

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key:

View raw message